NEW YORK -- As the 11th hour nears for the Chargers to decide whether to move to Los Angeles, there's no indication that the NFL has a last-ditch plan to keep the franchise in San Diego.
Members of the stadium and finance committees met Wednesday at league headquarters and focused primarily on the Oakland Raiders' interest in Las Vegas -- and conspicuously not on the San Diego situation.
"There was really little to no discussion on the topic of the Chargers, other than for us to make sure that the membership had the latest reports from the public authorities and so forth," NFL Executive Vice President Eric Grubman said.
The only movement on the San Diego front was Commissioner Roger Goodell extending the Chargers' relocation deadline by two days, until Tuesday, so it wouldn't conflict with Sunday's playoff games or the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday.
The Chargers did not attend Wednesday's meeting, which lasted 3 1/2 hours.
"Dean's got a decision to make here," Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II said of Chargers owner Dean Spanos. "We know there's been discussions with the public sector, and I don't want to speculate on whether he's ready to make a decision."
Speculation came to a boil in league circles, though, about why the deadline was extended. Does it mean Spanos has not made up his mind on whether to move, as his club's one-year option to join the Rams is set to expire? Will the league pledge more money, on top of the $300 million it has offered, to bridge the funding gap for a stadium in San Diego?
So far, there's no indication of that.
"We're not in discussions on anything else besides what's been on the table," Rooney said.
The Chargers can announce Spanos' decision any time before the Tuesday deadline. Any significant extension would be subject to the vote of the full ownership.